The cost of a catastrophic or serious injury is substantial and often extends over the lifetime of an accident victim. Insurance companies realize this and will often employ every means available to them to reduce the amount they have to pay. Since Missouri is a "pure comparative negligence state," compensation for injuries is reduced by the amount of fault assigned in an accident. For example, if you suffer $100,000 in damages in an accident and are found 80 percent at fault, you cannot recover more than $20,000. Insurance companies are aware of this and will often attempt to shift as much blame as possible onto you, the injury victim.
At the Carter Law Offices, our Kansas City serious injury lawyers work with accident investigators and other experts in determining fault and recovering as much compensation as possible for our clients. Don't let an insurer saddle you with the blame for an accident caused by its policyholder's negligence. Contact our Kansas City personal injury and wrongful death attorneys to schedule a free consultation.
Kinds of Catastrophic Injuries — The Clients We Help
The personal injury lawyers at Carter Law Offices represent people suffering from the following kinds of injuries sustained in an accident:
- Brain injuries: The victims of a traumatic brain injury often face a lifetime of challenges.
- Spinal cord injury: If you have suffered a spinal cord injury, our firm can help you claim compensation for your medical bills, emotional distress and ongoing treatment.
- Whiplash: Whiplash injuries can develop slowly, over the course of several days. If you were in an accident and now suffer neck pain, our attorneys can help you build an effective personal injury case.
- Electrical injuries: An electrical injury may lead to serious internal injuries. We can help you claim compensation.
- Amputations: The loss of a limb can be devastating, both physically and emotionally. A personal injury lawsuit can provide compensation for these losses.
- Burn injuries: Burn injuries are both painful and disfiguring, and they often call for extensive medical treatment.
- Injuries to children: If your child has suffered an injury, our law firm can help you hold the negligent parties responsible for their actions.
- Fatal injuries/wrongful death: Our wrongful death attorneys have extensive experience working with families who have suffered the loss of a loved one.
Prepared to Counter the Claims of Insurance Accident Investigators
Insurance companies employ their own teams of accident investigators in the hope of finding anything that will reduce the liability of their client and hold an injury victim at fault. That's why our attorneys regularly work with accident investigators, engineers, safety experts and others in investigating a wide variety of accidents, including motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, fires and explosions, birth injuries, surgical errors and accidents caused by defective products.
Determining the Cost of a Serious Injury
In order to ensure that our clients recover damages proportional to the full financial impact of their serious injury, our attorneys work closely with medical economists and life care planners. In our cost projections, we take into account costs associated with future surgery, physical therapy, in-house nursing care and lost wages. We also consider loss in quality of life and demand compensation for our clients' pain and suffering.
We have a registered nurse and doctor of chiropractic on staff who provide important medical information to aid in building cases.
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Independence
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to another party's negligence, get an experienced personal injury attorney on your side. To schedule a free consultation with our law firm, contact the Carter Law Offices today. Call 816-283-3500.