Was Your Baby Injured Due To Medical Malpractice?
Parents wishing only for a healthy newborn are devastated when their baby is born with brain damage or nerve damage. If a birth injury was caused by negligence of an OB-GYN, surgeon or nurses, Carter Law Offices can assert your interests in a lawsuit to hold them accountable.
Our medical malpractice team has recovered substantial compensation for birth injury claims. Call us at 816-897-7772 for a free initial consultation.
Attorney Doug Carter and our on-staff registered nurses handle the spectrum of medical negligence cases involving fetal and newborn injury or death:
Negligence in Pregnancy and Prenatal Care
- Failure to identify birth defects (sometimes correctable in the womb)
- Failure to diagnose gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia (hypertension) in the mother, which can threaten her life or cause premature birth
- Failure to halt preterm labor
Malpractice in Labor and Delivery
- Failure to give steroids to preterm babies
- Failure to respond to fetal distress
- Delayed C-section
- Nerve damage from delivery technique (Erb’s palsy)
- Brain damage from lack of oxygen (cerebral palsy)
Negligence in Neonatal Care
- Failure to treat labored breathing or jaundice
- Failure to notify doctors of newborn distress
Cerebral Palsy Caused By Medical Negligence
Cerebral palsy is a term used to describe a range of conditions that affect the neurological system. While cerebral palsy can be caused by a genetic disorder, it can also be caused by a medical mistake during labor and delivery. When a medical professional makes an error that results in a birth injury, lives are changed forever.
Our law firm represents the families of children who have been diagnosed with cerebral palsy or Erb’s palsy caused by medical malpractice. Some common causes of medical malpractice-related cerebral palsy include:
- Oxygen deprivation during labor and delivery
- Infections during pregnancy
- Fetal distress
- Birth asphyxia (respiratory failure in infant)
- Premature delivery
- Head injuries/brain trauma
Skilled Representation In The Kansas City Area
Experienced trial lawyer Doug Carter seeks to hold all parties responsible for a preventable birth injury or death. We review the medical records and secure testimony of medical experts who can attest that physicians did not follow accepted obstetric procedures. For example, certain K.C.-area hospitals, especially late at night when they are understaffed, are known for shoulder dystocia birth injuries or failing to perform C-sections at early indications of fetal distress.
Contact Our Law Firm
If your child has suffered a birth injury, you may be facing a long road of recovery and treatment. Our goal is to help you seek compensation to cover the current and long-term expenses associated with your child’s injury, including medical expenses, assistive devices, rehabilitation and more.
To schedule a consultation with one of our skilled birth injury lawyers, contact Carter Law Offices online or call 816-897-7772.